Recipe by Carol Dudar | Photography by Paul Buceta
As far as macronutrient profiles go, these fritters check all the boxes. They pull double duty on both protein and healthy fats, featuring eggs and edamame, as well as avocado and chia seeds, making them the epitome of a satiating and satisfying breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Perfectly portable and versatile, they’re also loaded with veggies such as zucchini and baby greens. Whether you’re vegetarian or not, these little wonders are sure to be the star of your next Meatless Monday.
Avocado, Edamame & Zucchini Fritters
Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes
Makes 4 Servings
1 cup edamame
½ cup mashed avocado
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
3 medium zucchini, grated or spiralized (approx. 3 cups)
1 cup firmly packed baby arugula or baby spinach, finely chopped
2 Tbsps capers, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsps grainy Dijon mustard
2 Tbsps chia seeds
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil, divided
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Baby arugula or baby spinach (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F. Steam or microwave the edamame for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Let cool slightly, then add avocado and mash with fork until edamame starts to break down. Add lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Take half (¾ cup) of mixture and set aside for topping the fritters. Place in an air-tight container and chill until ready to use.
- Place zucchini in large bowl. Add arugula, capers, green onion and toss well. Mix in avocado edamame mixture. Add eggs, mustard, and chia seeds and combine completely.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix together well.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil to coat pan. Scoop mixture into pan using ½ cup measure and flatten to a 4” pancake. Repeat with 2 more fritters.
- Cook until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to baking sheet and cover with foil. Place baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat process until all fritters are cooked and warmed.
- Top with reserved avocado-edamame mixture and garnishes to serve.